I am doing my placement at North Bay-based VS Group, which provides services in two major fields, which are marketing and business development. In marketing, they provide services such as Print, Branding, Strategy, Web Development, Social Media, Video Services, Signage & Displays, Events & Tradeshows, Photography Services, Mobile/Apps, Advertising, etc. In the business development part, they provide Business Strategy, Accounting and Tax, Marketing Consulting, Economic Development & Funding Support, Human Resources Support, IT Strategy Support, etc. They serve a diverse list of clients in various industries in-both the private and public sectors, as well as many non-profit organizations. Until now they have served more than 21 major clients in firms ranging from environment commissioner of Ontario to Nipissing University to Advanced Carbon Engineered Solutions.
Mr. Vincent Shank opened VS Group in 1997 as an accounting and bookkeeping firm; since then, the company has grown into one of the major marketing firms in northern Ontario, with some major projects under its belt. They now have offices not just in North Bay but also in New Liskeard. They are currently a growing company that plans to make some major changes in the company by expanding it even more in the near future.
VS Group is partner with a lot of other companies and has a huge client base; naming a few of them:
- Canadore College
- Nipissing University
- Municipality of Powassan
- Environmental Commissioner of Ontario
- Canadian Diamond Drilling Association
VS Group as a company helps clients by offering various services and has been very consistent in providing great service to the client time and again.
In the organization, other than my position, which is that of a Marketing and Communication Intern, there is the position of Social Media Manager who is responsible for managing all the social media of the company. The responsibility ranges from posting in various social media platforms on the company's behalf to connecting with new and existing clients through social media. The social media manager engages with consumer issues; this position also monitors current trends on social media and searches for any blog or article to be posted, and also uses various social media analysis tools for measuring the clickthroughs and traffic activity.
Another position is that of Director of Marketing of the company, which also is a huge role to fulfill which can be described as follows:
- Developing the strategic marketing plan of the company, which also includes identifying ways to achieve those targets;
- Selection and promotion of the marketing staff, giving presentations about any new project that is being introduced to the company;
- Managing and creating media strategies and communications for the company which in turn represent the company and its product or services;
- Implementation of annual, strategic, special events in the calendar of the company;
- Managing external resources of the Marketing and Communication department.
I, as an Intern, will be helping the company in the various responsibilities given to me, which are as follows:
- Assisting the marketing division with day-to-day tasks;
- Providing support with business and marketing communications;
- Assisting with filing;
- Greeting and directing walk-in and call-in clients.