Many Canadians are aware of heavy restrictions across the Internet in China, especially with usage of social media like Facebook.com. Here are the questions I have pondered prior to my departure for China in March 2015.
- What does it mean for addicts of the Internet traveling to this ancient civilization which operates under extreme precautions?
- Will I be able to disconnect from the virtual world and engage in historical culture?
- What are the consequences of monitored social media platforms?
- What does it mean for China’s social capital now and long-term?
- What benefit could North America gain from observing interactions and relationships in the Chinese culture?
I hope to have a clear understanding of what my learning objectives are, to maximize for personal gain over the four-weeks of the China internship exchange program between Canadore College and Tianjin Electronic Information College later this semester.