There are a number of potential upsides, and downsides, to having your company start a blog. Most companies have blogs, however; many smaller businesses do not. This is simply fear speaking. Some of that fear is real and some is not.
Company blogs are categorized into two types – internal and external. Internal blogs have less legal risk than externals simply due to the benefit of not having any negative posts from employees for fear of recrimination.
Some pros and cons of companies having blogs are as follows:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO):
- Tailor-made for search engine algorithms that will attract the most traffic.
- Media and PR Attention:
- Online and print sources tend to troll company blogs in times of crisis to look for news and feature ideas.
- This equates to more traffic to your site.
- Improved Customer Assistance:
- If your product or service is a complex one, having a blog is a great way for people to get quick solutions from each other.
- Litigation Risks:
- Invasion of privacy
- Hostile work environments
- Reputation Assaults:
- Even though you can screen content, some may slip by and can be extremely damaging to your corporate identity
- Blog Posts are Permanent:
- Blogs Take Time:
- It takes time to ensure that posts are complete and clear of errors. They can waste an employees’ time.