Let's talk about what Social Media is in today's society. Social Media is one or more online platforms that don’t just give the reader information, but also has an interaction approach, by asking for comments, likes, votes or ratings. With regular media, you can only read or listen and have very limited ability to voice your opinion.
Now you might be thinking, “what are some social media sites?” There is a large range of platforms for social media that you and your customers can interact with. There are 6 main sorts of social media that you can decide to use, such as:
- Social bookmarking (Delico, Blinklist, Simpy) that are used to interact with customers by tagging websites and searches through other bookmarked websites from other people
- Social news (Digg, Propeller, Reddit) that interact through voting and commenting
- Social networking (Facebook) that you can interact with your customers by adding friends, commenting, joining other groups and communities and having discussions in messenger or on wall posts
- Social photo and video sharing (Youtube) that interacts by sharing photos and videos and allowing customers to comment and vote to find out what they like, and dislike about what you are advertising. And lastly
- Wiki (Wikipedia, Wikia) that are articles that people are able to edit and add information so customers can add positive and negative information about your company or product.
Social media has A LOT of advantages and disadvantages so always remember that people are watching what you post. Think wisely before adding photos, information or commenting.